Round 8 of the 2020 AMA Supercross series in Arlington, Texas’s AT&T Stadium marked the second Triple Crown event of the season, and Team Honda’s Ken Roczen went into it with high hopes, having swept the previous event that was run under the three-race format, in Glendale, Arizona. Although the German didn’t ultimately capture another victory, he and his team were pleased to come away with an impressive second-place finish, via 1-7-2 results, leaving them in the championship hunt.
Roczen started the night on a strong note, launching out of the gate to a third-place race-one start and making some aggressive passes to take over the lead on the first lap. He continued to impress out front, riding flawlessly to take the win in the first race. He was unable to replicate his start in the second race, as he bobbled out of the gate and was shuffled to the middle of the pack, coming around in 10th. He struggled to make the necessary passes, battling hard but swapping back and forth before taking the checkered flag in seventh. In the final race, Roczen started in fourth and spent the subsequent 17 laps in a heated four-way battle, ultimately reaching the finish in second.
It was an all-around tough day for Roczen’s teammate Justin Brayton, as a number of crashes throughout the day and evening ultimately led to his early retirement from the second race, and his non-participation in the third.
- Prior to Saturday’s gate drop, Al Lamb’s Dallas Honda hosted an open house, where hundreds of fans were in attendance to meet their favorite Red Riders. On hand were Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen and Justin Brayton, GEICO Honda’s Chase Sexton and Jo Shimoda, and Team BWR Engines Honda.
- Smartop/MotoConcepts/Bullfrog Spas Honda’s Justin Hill was on fire during daytime qualifying, topping both sessions aboard his CRF450R and securing the quickest time with a 45.968’ lap. Roczen was sixth-fastest with a 46.765’ lap, while Brayton was ninth with a time of 47.185’. Hill’s teammates Malcolm Stewart and Vince Friese were 13thand 18th, respectively.
- There were technically three racers under the Team Honda HRC tent in Arlington, as Brayton’s daughter Parker participated in the STACYC Holeshot Challenge following the first 450SX race. With short turnaround times between races, Justin was unable to be on the line with Parker, but she was joined by her mother Paige and team press manager Mandie Fonteyn. Prior to the challenge, Parker had joined her father for the opening ceremonies.
- The Arlington Supercross marked round two of the 250SX East series, and GEICO Honda’s Chase Sexton put together a stellar performance, securing the overall victory aboard his CR250R with 2-1-2 finishes. In the night’s first race, Sexton got off to a third-place start, moving into second on lap four. He then set his sights on RJ Hampshire, closed the gap and made a blistering pass through the whoops to take over the front spot. Unfortunately, it was short-lived as he was taken down by Hampshire. Sexton remounted in fifth and put together a hard charge, working his way back into second by the checkered flag. Sexton came back with vengeance in the second race, getting a strong start and moving into the lead on the opening lap. From there, the defending champion stayed in front to the end, taking a dominant win. When the gate dropped on the final race, Sexton once again started well and quickly settled into second, which is where he finished. His GEICO Honda teammate Jeremy Martin also had a strong showing, finishing just shy of the podium in fourth, via 5-3-4 finishes. Meanwhile, rookie Jo Shimoda scored another top-10 finish in only his second professional supercross race, landing 10thwith 14-10-8 results.
- As usual, there were more Hondas than any other brand in the night program, with six in 450SX and eight in 250SX East.
- As the series approaches the halfway point, Roczen sits second in the 450SX standings with 174 points, only seven out of the championship lead. Stewart rests seventh with 122, while Hill has 110 points in eighth. Brayton rounds out the top 10 with 105 points.
- This coming Saturday, Team Honda HRC will be in Atlanta, Georgia, to take on round nine of the AMA Supercross series. On the eve of the race, Roczen and Brayton will participate in press day, giving them the opportunity to preview the track. Then they’ll head to Mountain Motorsports of Marietta for an autograph session from 6 to 7 p.m.
Mandie Fonteyn // Jonnum Media // firstname.lastname@example.org // +1 (951) 537-0454
450SX Main Event Results
|1||Tomac Eli||3||USA||26||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki||(5-1-1)|
|2||Roczen Ken||94||GER||23||Team Honda HRC||Honda||(1-7-2)|
|3||Anderson Jason||21||USA||21||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna||(3-2-5)|
|4||Barcia Justin||51||USA||19||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas||(4-5-4)|
|5||Osborne Zach||16||USA||18||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna||(7-4-3)|
|6||Hill Justin||48||USA||17||Smartop Bullfrog Spas MotoConcepts Honda||Honda||(6-3-8)|
|7||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||16||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha||(8-6-9)|
|8||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||15||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha||(9-10-7)|
|9||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||14||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna||(13-9-6)|
|10||Baggett Blake||4||USA||13||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM||(10-8-13)|
|11||Friese Vince||40||USA||12||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda||(12-11-10)|
|12||Webb Cooper||2||USA||11||Red Bull KTM||KTM||(2-17-20)|
|13||Reed Chad||22||AUS||10||Mountain Motorsports/CBDmd/CR22 Racing||KTM||(14-12-16)|
|15||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||8||Chisholm Racing||Kawasaki||(19-13-12)|
|16||Bowers Tyler||44||USA||7||Bowers Racing||Kawasaki||(16-14-14))|
|17||Davalos Martin||47||ECU||6||Team Tedder||KTM||(11-20-19)|
|18||Cunningham Kyle||39||USA||5||H.E.P Motorsports||Suzuki||(17-19-15)|
|19||Weeks James||700||USA||4||TPJ/Fly Racing||Yamaha||(20-16-17)|
|20||Stewart Ronnie||606||USA||3||DirtCandy Graphics||Suzuki||(21-18-18)|
|21||Brayton Justin||10||USA||2||Muc-Off Honda||Honda||(15-21-21)|
|22||Tickle Broc||20||USA||1||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda||(22-22-22)|