The seventh round of the AMA Pro Motocross series took place over Independence Day Weekend at the iconic RedBud National in Buchanan, Michigan, where a massive crowd saw Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen finish fifth overall with 6-3 marks.
In moto one, Roczen got off to a less-than-desirable start, coming around the first turn in 10th. By lap two, he had worked his way into seventh, and he gained another spot a few laps later. At the halfway point, Roczen closed the gap on fifth, making a successful pass on lap nine. Toward the end of the 30-minute-plus-two-lap-race, Roczen experienced physical issues, actually vomiting in his helmet and relinquishing a spot to take the checkered flag in sixth. When the gate dropped on moto two, Roczen launched his CRF450R down the start straight and emerged from turn one in fourth. Through the opening lap, he charged into second before making a pass for the lead stick on lap two. With a clear track ahead of him, the German opened a small gap on the rest of the field. As the race reached its halfway point, Roczen came under fire from Marvin Musquin and was unable to fend off the Frenchman’s advances, ultimately relinquishing the lead. He maintained second position until two laps from the end, when he slipped back one more spot to finish third.
- At RedBud, Team Honda HRC was excited to host Austin Garey, a 14-year-old Make-A-Wish child with Cystic Fibrosis. Austin and his family attended Friday night’s team barbecue, where he spent time hanging out with Roczen. Austin spent more time with Roczen on race day, when he was surprised with a new set of Fox riding gear and an autographed Roczen jersey. For moto one, Austin watched his favorite rider load into the starting gate, then moved to the mechanics’ area to see the gate drop. He was then interviewed in the announcers’ tower before being given the incredible opportunity to hand out the trophies to the 450 podium finishers.
- To celebrate Independence Day, Team Honda HRC’s race machines were adorned in custom red, white and blue Throttle Jockey livery, featuring “USA” on the seat and the Statue of Liberty on each shroud, plus a logo recognizing Honda’s 60thanniversary in America.
- During the morning qualifying practice, Roczen rode strong aboard his CRF450R, securing the third-fastest time of 2’05.849” in the first session.
- For race day at RedBud, Team Honda HRC had the assistance of Arica Alread, an Advertising student at Central Michigan University. Alread accompanied team Media Manager Mandie Fonteyn and assisted her with her PR duties in order to gain real-world work experience.
- With the series now past its halfway point, Roczen sits third overall in the championship standings with 264 points, only six behind second.
- With Chase Sexton and Christian Craig sidelined for the weekend, the GEICO Honda squad was represented in the 250 class by RJ Hampshire and Hunter Lawrence, who finished fourth and fifth overall, respectively, aboard their CRF250R race machines. Hampshire put in a strong push in the first moto to secure second place, his best result of the season. Unfortunately, he was unable to replicate this performance in moto two, as a bad start left him fighting his way into eighth. In moto one, Lawrence took the checkered flag in eighth before rebounding with a fourth-place result in moto two.
- The series now takes its second break of the summer before returning at Spring Creek Raceway in Millville, Minnesota, on July 20 for round 8 of AMA Pro Motocross. “I’m really looking forward to this weekend off,” Roczen said. “I’m going to take this time to relax and try to let my body recover.”
Mandie Fonteyn // Jonnum Media // firstname.lastname@example.org// +1 (951) 537-0454
450MX Moto 1 Results
|1||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|2||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|3||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|4||Bogle Justin||19||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|5||Baggett Blake||4||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|6||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|7||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|8||Noren Fredrik||61||SWE||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|9||Bloss Benny||73||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|10||Miller Henry||81||USA||Trigger Racing||Yamaha|
|12||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|13||Cunningham Kyle||39||USA||H.E.P Motorsports||Suzuki|
|16||Bowers Tyler||83||USA||Bowers Racing||Kawasaki|
|17||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||Chisholm Racing||Kawasaki|
|18||Lamay Ben||71||USA||TPJ/Fly Racing||Honda|
|19||Teasdale Isaac||921||USA||Team Babbitts||KTM|
|20||Weeks James||700||USA||TPJ/Fly Racing||Yamaha|
450MX Moto 2 Results
|1||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|2||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|3||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|4||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|5||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|6||Bogle Justin||19||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|7||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|8||Bloss Benny||73||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|9||Baggett Blake||4||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|10||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|13||Noren Fredrik||61||SWE||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|14||Miller Henry||81||USA||Trigger Racing||Yamaha|
|15||Short John||72||USA||Barx/Chaparral/Ecstar Suzuki||Suzuki|
|17||Koga Taiki||929||JPN||TPJ/Fly Racing||Kawasaki|
|18||Pipes Dustin||USA||TPJ/Fly Racing||Suzuki|
|19||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||Chisholm Racing||Kawasaki|
|20||Teasdale Isaac||921||USA||Team Babbitts||KTM|