The seventh round of the 2021 AMA Supercross series took place Saturday at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, where Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen put together another solid ride aboard his CRF450R, finishing second and maintaining the lead in the 450SX title chase. Meanwhile, his 17-year-old teammate Jett Lawrence notched his second career win in the 250SX East class.
Roczen topped his heat race and started the main event in third, then made his way into second on lap two. At times the German seemed destined to score his fourth consecutive victory, as he gained ground on the leading Cooper Webb in the whoop section, but the margin stretched to nearly three seconds due to a couple of mistakes by Roczen. Still, a late-race charge brought him close again, and he finished less than a second back.
Lawrence dominated the evening in his class, topping his heat race before riding his CRF250R flawlessly in the main event. The young Australian will now have a couple months off from racing before the East Region finishes up in Salt Lake City.
- Round 7 was the first time since 2007 that AMA Supercross held a round in Orlando. Although Ken Roczen couldn’t quite manage the victory, Honda remains the most successful manufacturer at the venue, with five premier-class wins at the hands of Jeremy McGrath, Jeff Stanton and Ron Lechien.
- After enduring freezing temperatures in Indy the weekend before, teams and riders experienced wet conditions for round 7. The track crew was prepared, covering the course with plastic during the precipitation earlier in the week.
- Press day and free-practice sessions were canceled due to the weather, and the qualifying schedule was revised, beginning at 2:15 p.m. for the 250SX East riders.
- In timed qualifying, Roczen posted the fifth-fastest lap with a 51.106” in the final session. SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda riders Benny Bloss, Broc Tickle and Vince Friese were 10th-, 15th-, and 19th-best, respectively, with times of 51.880”, 52.029” and 52.570”. Muc-Off Honda rider Justin Brayton was 20th-best at 53.043.
- In the 250SX East class, Lawrence was the third-best qualifier, with a 52.743” lap time. Muc-Off Honda’s Mitchell Oldenburg was fifth with a 53.871” lap, while Phoenix Racing Honda rider Joshua Osby was eighth.
- Roczen rode to another solid win in 450SX heat 2, while Friese, Brayton, Bloss, and Tickle were sixth, seventh, eighth and 10th, respectively.
- Red Riders swept the podium in the second 250SX East heat race, with Lawrence leading Oldenburg finishing and World of Wheels rider Jeremy Hand. In heat 1, Osby posted a sixth-place result.
- Although Roczen conceded ground to Webb in the title chase, he still enjoys a healthy 13-point lead after round 7.
- With round 8 scheduled to be held at the same venue, the riders and some Team Honda HRC staff members will stay in Florida prepping for Saturday’s race. Roczen will test at the Sandbox, Jett and Hunter Lawrence will ride at Chad Reed’s old facility and Chase Sexton will continue to prep at James Stewart’s compound for his return.
- The second half of the Orlando double-header will take place this Saturday on a redesigned track, and the 250SX West Region Class series will commence, with Hunter Lawrence debuting on his 2021 CRF250R.
Kayla Mead // Jonnum Media // firstname.lastname@example.org // +1 (760) 822-4786
|1||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|2||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|3||Osborne Zach||16||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|4||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|5||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|6||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|7||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|8||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|9||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|10||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|11||Brayton Justin||10||USA||Muc-Off Honda||Honda|
|12||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|13||Savatgy Joey||17||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|14||Bloss Benny||73||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|15||Friese Vince||62||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|16||Davalos Martin||53||USA||Team Tedder/Monster Energy/Lucas Oil/KTM Racing||KTM|
|17||McElrath Shane||12||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|18||Bogle Justin||19||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|19||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||Chisholm Racing||KTM|
|20||Starling Justin||95||USA||AJE Motorsports||Husqvarna|
|21||Noren Fredrik||61||SWE||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|22||Ferrandis Dylan||14||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
250SX East Region Results
|1||Lawrence Jett||18||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|2||Nichols Colt||45||USA||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|3||Craig Christian||28||USA||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|4||Shimoda Jo||30||JPN||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|5||Oldenburg Mitchell||54||USA||Muc-Off Honda||Honda|
|6||Varize Joshua||38||USA||KTM Orange Brigade/Factory Connection||KTM|
|7||Moranz Kevin||57||USA||TPJ/Fly Racing||KTM|
|8||Osby Josh||56||USA||Phoenix Racing Honda||Honda|
|10||Karnow Logan||67||USA||Madd Parts/Double Eagle MX/Namura Technologies Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|11||Simonson Devin||76||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|12||Neese Luke||75||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|13||Shaw Lane||89||USA||TPJ/Fly Racing||KTM|
|14||Do Thomas||60||USA||Tech32/KTM Marseille||KTM|
|16||Harlan Grant||65||USA||Tilube Storm Lake Honda||Honda|
|18||Fleming Wilson||86||USA||Team BWR||Honda|
|19||Sanford Maxwell||162||USA||Tilube Storm Lake Honda||Honda|
|20||Camporese Lorenzo||384||USA||Gaerne, Shoei, LC384, NLAB||Kawasaki|
|21||Sayles Hunter||85||USA||Race Driven KTM/Hoosier/EVS/Ryno||KTM|