The 2021 AMA Supercross series was in action this weekend at Camping World Stadium for the final race of the Orlando doubleheader, which also kicked off the 250SX West Region series. Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen rode well in qualifying and topped the first 450SX heat race, but when the gate dropped for the main event, he suffered a poor start and had to work his way through the pack. The German eventually settled into a three-way battle with Justin Barcia and Eli Tomac, and although he made an attempt for third near the end, he couldn’t complete the pass before the checkered flag and had to settle for fourth. Roczen’s title-chase lead over Orlando 2 winner Cooper Webb is now six points.
After watching his brother and 250SX East contender Jett Lawrence race the year’s first seven events, 250SX West competitor Hunter Lawrence commenced his 2021 season in Orlando. The Australian showed good speed throughout the day, posting the fifth-best qualifying time and placing a solid third in his heat race. After he took a third-place start in the main event, a lap-one red flag caused a restart. Lawrence started 10th the second time but worked his way through the pack to fifth place at the finish.
- All riding sessions planned for Friday’s media day were canceled due to poor weather. The 250SX West Regional riders, including Team Honda HRC’s Hunter Lawrence, still participated in their Feld-organized media sessions and virtual interviews.
- With precipitation forecast for much of the time following last week’s Orlando 1 event, the was covered to minimize saturation, and the planned track transformation wasn’t completed. Round 8 featured the same overall track layout, though lanes and obstacles were modified.
- Having spent the previous month recovering from an injured shoulder, Chase Sexton was in attendance at Orlando 2, but not as a racer. The Team Honda HRC rider participated in multiple interviews, including Race Day Live and live the TV broadcast during the main event. Sexton is planning to compete in the next round, at Daytona.
- Ken Roczen wore special Lewis Hamilton-inspired Fox gear at Orlando 2, while Hunter Lawrence had Miami Vice-inspired Alpinestars gear. In addition, crew chief Lars Lindstrom designed a kangaroo logo that was secretly located on the bottom of Lawrence’s seat base.
- Ken Roczen posted the fourth-fastest 450SX lap in qualifying, with a best of 50.626”. SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda riders Benny Bloss, Broc Tickle and Vince Friese were eighth-, 13th- and 17th-best, respectively, with times of 50.769”, 51.413” and 51.826”. Muc-Off Honda’s Justin Brayton sat out the race after a practice crash, but his teammates Shane McElrath and Mitchell Oldenburg (regulars in the 250SX East series) joined the 450SX class at Orlando 2 and had the 19th- and 20th-best times.
- In the 250SX West class, Lawrence posted the fifth-fastest time with a 52.259” in the final qualifier. Phoenix Racing rider Kyle Peters–currently the points leader in the AMA Arenacross series–was 13th. Muc-Off Honda’s Mitchell Harrison was 21st, while FXR Chaparral Honda riders Carson Mumford and Coty Shock were 22nd and 30th, respectively.
- Roczen enjoyed a solid start in his 450SX heat race and finished on top, with Bloss placing eighth and Oldenburg posting an 11th-place result. Heat 2 saw Tickle finish sixth, while Friese was ninth. McElrath posted a 10th-place result, with Team BWR’s Carlen Gardner finishing 13th.
- Lawrence nailed the 250SX heat 2 holeshot and finished third, with Peters fifth. Shock and Mumford were 12th and 16th in heat 1, respectively, but would transfer through the LCQ.
- Now that the series has finished its Orlando doubleheader, the Team Honda HRC riders and personnel return home for the series’ first weekend off, and to prepare for Daytona.
Kayla Mead // Jonnum Media // email@example.com // +1 (760) 822-4786
|1||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|2||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|3||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|4||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|5||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|6||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|7||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|8||Osborne Zach||16||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|9||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|10||Bogle Justin||19||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|11||Ferrandis Dylan||14||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|12||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|13||Tickle Broc||20||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|14||McElrath Shane||12||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|15||Friese Vince||62||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|16||Savatgy Joey||17||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|17||Davalos Martin||53||USA||Team Tedder/Monster Energy/Lucas Oil/KTM Racing||KTM|
|18||Anstie Max||34||GBR||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|19||Bloss Benny||73||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|20||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||Chisholm Racing||KTM|
|21||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|22||Bowers Tyler||83||USA||Bowers Racing||Kawasaki|
250SX West Region Results
|1||Cooper Justin||32||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|2||McAdoo Cameron||48||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|3||Marchbanks Garrett||35||USA||Club MX||Yamaha|
|4||Swoll Jalek||31||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|5||Lawrence Hunter||96||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|6||Hammaker Seth||47||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|7||Peters Kyle||USA||Town and Country Cycle Center||Husqvarna|
|8||Blose Chris||66||USA||AJE Motorsports/Motul||GasGas|
|9||Wageman RJ||99||USA||Team Solitaire/Nuclear Blast Yamaha||Yamaha|
|10||Owen Jace||68||USA||Club MX||Yamaha|
|11||Thrasher Nate||49||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|12||Shock Coty||37||USA||FXR/Chaparral Honda Racing||Honda|
|13||Crown Joey||61||USA||Club MX||Yamaha|
|15||Harrison Mitchell||64||USA||Muc-Off Honda||Honda|
|17||Schwartz Dilan||40||USA||Bar X/Chaparral/Ecstar Suzuki||Suzuki|
|18||Robertson Stilez||50||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|19||Frye Jarrett||39||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|20||Smith Jordon||90||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|21||Martin Jeremy||6||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|22||Martin Alex||26||USA||Manluk/Rock River Yamaha/Merge Racing||Yamaha|