On Saturday, the AMA Supercross series completed its three-round residency at Lucas Oil Stadium, where Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen grabbed his third victory in just over a week, setting a new career milestone with three consecutive 450SX wins and extending his lead in the title chase to 16 points. The German was perfect all evening aboard his CRF450R, topping his heat race and then taking the main-event lead shortly after the first turn. Despite pressure from first Justin Barcia and later Cooper Webb, Roczen maintained his calm and focus, strategically navigating through lapped traffic while running up front for all 26 laps and taking the win with a margin of just under a second.
Roczen’s teammate Jett Lawrence finished fifth in the 250SX East class, four days after having to sit out the Indy 2 main event with a sore shoulder. After being held up at the start and completing lap one in 12th place, Lawrence mounted an early charge that put him battling for fifth with Colt Nichols by lap two. The Australian was impressive as he held off the points leader, but he went off the track near the end and settled for fifth.
- Indianapolis experienced chilly weather conditions over the weekend, with temperatures around 19º F at the time the evening program began.
- Once again, there was a new track layout for Indy 3, with the first corner being a righthander, and this time there was no over-under feature.
- Though Jett Lawrence has been dealing with a sore shoulder injury following a crash at Indy 2, he was able to put in a positive effort in Saturday’s race and plans to continue rehabilitating ahead of the Orlando rounds.
- No virtual post-race press conference was held for round 6, due to the late end time on Saturday and travel schedules on Sunday.
- In timed qualifying, Roczen posted the eighth-fastest lap with a 47.572” in the final session. Muc-Off Honda rider Justin Brayton was 10th-best at 47.700”, and SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda riders Broc Tickle, Benny Bloss and Vince Friese were 14th-, 16th-, and 18th-best, respectively, with times of 48.353”, 48.645” and 49.627”.
- Prior to the evening program, Lawrence had a socially distanced meet-and-greet with Lucas Grounds, a young Indiana motocross and off-road racer who suffered a spinal cord injury in a December crash, and who has been undergoing treatment at Indianapolis’s Riley Hospital for Children. Lawrence presented Grounds with a signed jersey and several mementos from Team Honda HRC.
- In the 250SX East class, Lawrence was second-best with a 47.979” lap time. Muc-Off Honda’s Mitchell Oldenburg was sixth with a 48.577” lap, while Phoenix Racing Honda rider Joshua Osby was 11th.
- Roczen rode to a solid win in 450SX heat 1, while Friese, Bloss, Tickle and Brayton were fifth, seventh, eighth and 11th, respectively.
- Lawrence carried his speed into the night program, finishing on top in the first 250SX heat race, with Oldenburg finishing second. In heat 2, Osby posted a seventh-place result.
- Roczen’s incredible Indianapolis sweep pushes his career win total to 18 and marks the first time he has won three consecutive races in the series. It is also the first time any rider has won three 450SX races in a row since Eli Tomac accomplished the feat in 2017.
- With the three Indy races in the books, Team Honda HRC will now head to Orlando, for rounds 7 and 8. Team Honda HRC’s Chase Sexton missed all three Indianapolis rounds to continue rehabilitating his right shoulder, but he is hoping to return for the next race.
Kayla Mead // Jonnum Media // firstname.lastname@example.org // +1 (760) 822-4786
|1||Roczen Ken||94||GER||26||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|2||Webb Cooper||2||USA||23||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|3||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||21||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|4||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||19||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|5||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||18||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|6||Anderson Jason||21||USA||17||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|7||Tomac Eli||3||USA||16||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|8||Ferrandis Dylan||14||USA||15||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|9||Savatgy Joey||17||USA||14||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|10||Osborne Zach||16||USA||13||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|11||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||12||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|12||Brayton Justin||10||USA||11||Muc-Off Honda||Honda|
|13||Tickle Broc||20||USA||10||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|14||Friese Vince||40||USA||9||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|15||Davalos Martin||36||USA||8||Team Tedder/Monster Energy/Lucas Oil/KTM Racing||KTM|
|16||Bogle Justin||19||USA||7||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|17||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||6||Chisholm Racing||KTM|
|19||Barcia Justin||51||USA||4||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|20||Enticknap Adam||722||USA||3||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|21||Clason Cade||280||USA||2||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|22||Bloss Benny||37||USA||1||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
250SX East Region Results
|1||Craig Christian||29||USA||26||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|2||Shimoda Jo||30||JPN||23||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|3||Nichols Colt||64||USA||21||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|4||Oldenburg Mitchell||49||USA||19||Muc-Off Honda||Honda|
|5||Lawrence Jett||18||AUS||18||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|6||Osby Josh||95||USA||17||Phoenix Racing Honda||Honda|
|7||Sayles Hunter||99||USA||16||Race Driven KTM/Hoosier/EVS/Ryno||KTM|
|8||Simonson Devin||170||USA||15||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|9||Do Thomas||773||USA||14||Tech32/KTM Marseille||KTM|
|10||Neese Luke||125||USA||13||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|11||Harlan Grant||76||USA||12||Tilube Storm Lake Honda||Honda|
|12||Karnow Logan||88||USA||11||Madd Parts/Double Eagle MX/Namura Technologies Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|13||Hand Jeremy||332||USA||10||Hand Racing||Honda|
|14||Moranz Kevin||85||USA||9||TPJ/Fly Racing||KTM|
|16||Varize Joshua||241||USA||7||KTM Orange Brigade/Factory Connection||KTM|
|19||Fleming Wilson||185||USA||4||Team BWR||Honda|
|20||Sanford Maxwell||162||USA||3||Tilube Storm Lake Honda||Honda|
|22||Camporese Lorenzo||384||USA||1||Gaerne, Shoei, LC384, NLAB||Kawasaki|