Team Honda HRC kicked off the 2021 AMA Pro Motocross series at Pala, California’s Fox Raceway–the same venue where Red Riders dominated last year’s season finale–with a successful outing that saw Jett Lawrence take the overall victory in the 250 class, while Ken Roczen notched second overall in the 450 division. Their teammates also performed well, with Hunter Lawrence finishing sixth overall in 250 racing despite struggling with crashes, whereas Chase Sexton tallied fifth overall in the 450 class, thanks in part to a very close second-place result in moto 1.
The first 250 moto at the North San Diego County venue saw Jett Lawrence suffer a poor start and complete lap one in 17th place, but he made his way through the pack to eventually finish second, while brother Hunter struggled with rear traction and finished sixth. Jett got a much better start in the second moto, and he quickly advanced from fourth, taking the lead on lap seven of 15. From there, the young Australian pulled ahead, ultimately winning by nearly seven seconds, while Hunter finished fifth.
Sexton completed lap one of the first 450 moto in fifth place and moved toward the front, securing second at the race’s midway point. Toward the end of the 30-minute-plus-two-laps moto, he closed on the leading Dylan Ferrandis, eventually finishing less than a tenth of a second back. Unfortunately, a first-turn moto 2 crash forced the Illinois native to charge through the pack for a 10th place finish, good for fifth overall. Roczen had been a little uncomfortable in the first moto, finishing sixth, but the German came out strong in moto 2, taking the lead on lap one and holding strong to win by nearly 12 seconds, earning second overall.
- Team Honda HRC took advantage of the 28-day post-supercross break to test the CRF450R and CRF250R race bikes, with all four riders putting in track time in Southern California.
- Each of the Team Honda HRC riders approached the 2021 season opener from a different perspective. Ken Roczen–the team veteran–was returning to AMA Pro Motocross after sitting out last year’s outdoor races; for the first time, Chase Sexton was entering a series with a full year of 450 experience under his belt, including an overall win in last year’s AMA Pro Motocross finale at the same track; meanwhile, this was Hunter and Jett Lawrence’s first outdoor race with the factory team, though Jett had won at Fox Raceway in last year’s final round.
- The opening round enjoyed perfect Southern California weather, with sunshine and warm-but-not-uncomfortable temperatures. That said, track conditions proved challenging for all the riders.
- Although the pandemic situation has improved significantly in recent months, the series organizers continued to enforce safety protocols. The riders meeting was pre-recorded and available for online viewing Friday evening, the paddock was closed to spectators, autograph sessions were suspended (though teams provided pre-signed posters to be distributed to fans), teams were asked to practice social distancing and only permit essential personnel in the team pods, and media interview opportunities were permitted at the sole discretion of each team.
- Team Honda HRC marked the May 18 passing of former factory motocrosser Scott Sheak with “RIP Iron Sheak” stickers on their race bikes’ front fenders. Sheak, who rode for Team Honda in 1997, succumbed to complications resulting from injuries in a training crash in his home state of New York.
- Jett Lawrence posted the fastest time in 250MX qualifying, at 2’20.389”. Hunter Lawrence had a fourth-best time of 2’21.301”. FXR/Chaparral Honda rider Carson Mumford posted the 20th-best, time.
- Roczen posted the third-best time in 450MX qualifying, at 2’20.443”. Sexton was seventh-fastest at 2’21.460”, and FXR/Chaparral Honda’s Coty Schock was 19th-best.
- Roczen’s 450 moto 2 victory was his first since the Unadilla round in 2019.
- In the early 450 points chase, Roczen is tied for second with Aaron Plessinger, five points behind round 1 overall winner Dylan Ferrandis, while Sexton is fifth. Jett Lawrence and Jeremy Martin are tied for the 250 points lead, while Hunter Lawrence sits sixth.
- The top three overall finishers from each class, including Jett Lawrence and Roczen, participated in a virtual post-race press conference via Zoom on Saturday evening. Sexton was also asked to participate due to his 450 win at last year’s Fox Raceway round.
- Team Honda HRC will head to the mile-high Thunder Valley round in Lakewood, Colorado, where the second AMA Pro Motocross round will take place this weekend.
Kayla Mead // Jonnum Media // firstname.lastname@example.org // +1 (760) 822-4786
450MX Moto 1 Results
|1||Ferrandis Dylan||14||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|2||Sexton Chase||23||USA||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|3||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|4||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|5||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|6||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|7||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|8||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|9||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|10||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|11||Craig Christian||28||USA||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|12||Savatgy Joey||17||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|13||Osborne Zach||16||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|14||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|15||Anstie Max||34||GBR||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|16||Shock Coty||37||USA||FXR/Chaparral Honda Racing||Honda|
|17||Surratt Ryan||58||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|18||Medaglia Tyler||555||CAN||Husqvarna Canada||Husqvarna|
|19||Nicoletti Phillip||46||USA||Autotrader/ JGR/ Yoshimura/ Suzuki Factory Racing||Yamaha|
|20||Hayes Jacob||156||USA||Mitchell Motorsports||Kawasaki|
450MX Moto 2 Results
|1||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|2||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|3||Ferrandis Dylan||14||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|4||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|5||Osborne Zach||16||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|6||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|7||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|8||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|9||Craig Christian||28||USA||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|10||Sexton Chase||23||USA||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|11||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|12||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|13||Lupino Alessandro||177||ITA||MRT Racing Team KTM||KTM|
|14||Anstie Max||34||GBR||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|15||Shock Coty||37||USA||FXR/Chaparral Honda Racing||Honda|
|16||Bogle Justin||19||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|17||Noren Fredrik||61||SWE||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|18||Savatgy Joey||17||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|19||Hartranft Brandon||41||USA||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|20||Surratt Ryan||58||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
250MX Moto 1 Results
|1||Martin Jeremy||6||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|2||Lawrence Jett||18||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|3||Hampshire RJ||24||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|4||Mosiman Michael||29||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|5||Cooper Justin||32||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|6||Lawrence Hunter||96||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|7||Forkner Austin||33||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|8||Marchbanks Garrett||35||USA||Club MX||Yamaha|
|9||Nichols Colt||45||USA||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|10||Robertson Stilez||50||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|11||Hammaker Seth||47||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|12||Swoll Jalek||31||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|13||Frye Jarrett||39||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|14||Shimoda Jo||30||JPN||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|15||McAdoo Cameron||48||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|16||Thrasher Nate||49||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|18||Schwartz Dilan||40||USA||Bar X/Chaparral/Ecstar Suzuki||Suzuki|
|19||Martin Alex||26||USA||Manluk/Rock River Yamaha/Merge Racing||Yamaha|
|20||Drake Derek||33||USA||Bar X/Chaparral/Ecstar Suzuki||Suzuki|
250MX Moto 2 Results
|1||Lawrence Jett||18||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|2||Martin Jeremy||6||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|3||Cooper Justin||32||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|4||Mosiman Michael||29||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|5||Lawrence Hunter||96||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|6||Marchbanks Garrett||35||USA||Club MX||Yamaha|
|7||Vohland Max||36||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|8||Forkner Austin||33||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|9||Hampshire RJ||24||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|10||Brown Pierce||44||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|11||Shimoda Jo||30||JPN||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|12||Nichols Colt||45||USA||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|13||Swoll Jalek||31||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|14||Frye Jarrett||39||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|15||Mumford Carson||43||USA||FXR/Chaparral Honda Racing||Honda|
|16||Martin Alex||26||USA||Manluk/Rock River Yamaha/Merge Racing||Yamaha|
|17||Thrasher Nate||49||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|18||Robertson Stilez||50||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|19||Varize Joshua||38||USA||KTM Orange Brigade/Factory Connection||KTM|
|20||Miller Max||604||USA||KTM Orange Brigade||KTM|