Team Honda HRC’s Jett Lawrence ended the dramatic 2021 AMA Supercross series with a stirring victory in the Dave Coombs Sr. 250SX East/West Showdown during the finale at Salt Lake City’s Rice-Eccles Stadium. The young Australian finished the season third in the 250SX East standings, while teammate and older brother Hunter Lawrence also performed well, taking third in the main and second overall in the 250SX West class. Meanwhile, the 450SX division saw Chase Sexton lead before notching his third podium result of the season. After vying for the premier-class title for much of the season, Ken Roczen–10th at the finale–ultimately settled for a respectable second in the final standings. It was a positive season for Team Honda HRC, which topped the final Manufacturer standings, based on total points in both 450SX and 250SX.
This was the fifth consecutive season that the 450SX class title came down to the final race, and when the gate dropped Roczen made strong passes that quickly put him at the front of the pack. After leading for eight of 29 laps, the German relinquished the lead to a charging Sexton and unfortunately fell back through the pack, eventually finishing 10th. With less than four minutes left on the clock, the rookie Sexton lost traction in a corner and was passed by Cooper Webb but still posted a solid third-place finish.
The highly anticipated 250SX East/West Showdown–which pitted riders from both regions against one another–saw the Lawrence brothers exploit their superior speed in the whoops, with Jett securing the lead on the 17th of 22 laps, after running third in the early going. Hunter was also on the move early on but tipped over while attempting a pass for third and lost two positions. Jett went on to secure his third win of the season, while Hunter recovered to finish third.
- The series’ final Media Day riding session took place Friday, giving the riders time to test out the track layout. Unlike the previous round, held at the same venue, the track featured additional lines in the rhythm lane after the start straight, as well as two sets of whoops, one of which was immediately after the finish line and played a huge factor in the race, allowing riders to execute passes and make up time.
- For the third year in a row, the series hosted an online auction in support of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Auctioned items include autographed jerseys from riders including Ken Roczen and Chase Sexton, as well as a Dean Guitars bass guitar autographed by the top four riders in points. The auction runs until Monday, May 3, at 6 p.m. ET.
- In combined 450SX qualifying-practice times, Sexton was fastest with a best of 41.706”, and Roczen was next at 41.810”. SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts riders Broc Tickle and Benny Bloss were 12th and 14th, respectively.
- In the 250SX East class, Jett Lawrence posted the fastest qualifying time, at 42.464”. Phoenix Racing Honda rider Joshua Osby was ninth at 44.807”, Team BWR’s Wilson Fleming was 11th, privateer Geran Stapleton was 15th and TiLube Honda’s Maxwell Sanford was 16th.
- The 250SX West class saw Lawrence post the third-fastest time, with a best lap of 42.556”. Muc-Off Honda’s Mitchell Harrison was fifth, Phoenix Racing Honda riders Enzo Lopes and Kyle Peters were ninth and 11th, and FXR/Chaparral Honda rider Coty Schock was 18th.
- In the first 450SX heat race, Roczen’s second-place result made him the top Red Rider, while Tickle and Bloss were sixth and eighth, respectively. In heat 2, Sexton posted a fifth-place result.
- The 250SX heat races saw Hunter and Jett Lawrence both finish second (in the West and East classes, respectively). Osby also advanced directly to the main via a sixth-place result in the East heat.
- In the 250SX main event at Salt Lake City 2, Jett Lawrence wore special Alpinestars gear designed by Repsol Honda MotoGP star Marc Marquez, including a helmet featuring the Spaniard’s face and “93” logo. Also for the season finale, Roczen wore a Fox helmet with graphics that were a nod to personal watch sponsor Breitling.
- Following the finale, Roczen and Sexton headed to California with team test rider Trey Canard to test their CRF450R machines for the upcoming AMA Pro Motocross series, while the Lawrence brothers headed back to Florida, where some team members will join them for CRF250R testing this week.
- Team Honda HRC congratulates Cooper Webb, Colt Nichols and Justin Cooper, as well as their respective teams, for earning titles in the 450SX, 250SX East and 250SX West divisions.
Kayla Mead // Jonnum Media // email@example.com // +1 (760) 822-4786
450SX Main Event Results
|1||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|2||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|3||Sexton Chase||23||USA||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|4||Ferrandis Dylan||14||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|5||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|6||Savatgy Joey||17||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|7||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|8||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|9||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|10||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|11||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|12||Anstie Max||34||GBR||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|13||Bloss Benny||73||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|14||Bowers Tyler||83||USA||Bowers Racing||Kawasaki|
|15||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||Chisholm Racing||KTM|
|16||Tickle Broc||20||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|17||Starling Justin||95||USA||AJE Motorsports||Husqvarna|
|18||Ray Alex||87||USA||SGB Racing/Maxxis/Babbitt's Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|19||Clason Cade||78||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|20||Noren Fredrik||61||SWE||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|21||Cros Joan||848||USA||Madd Parts/Double Eagle MX/Namura Technologies Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|22||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
250SX E/W Showdown Results
|1||Lawrence Jett||18||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|2||Nichols Colt||45||USA||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|3||Lawrence Hunter||96||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|4||McAdoo Cameron||48||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|5||Hammaker Seth||47||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|6||Shimoda Jo||30||JPN||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|7||Brown Pierce||44||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|8||Swoll Jalek||31||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|9||Cooper Justin||32||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|10||Peters Kyle||52||USA||Phoenix Racing Honda||Honda|
|11||Marchbanks Garrett||35||USA||Club MX||Yamaha|
|12||Lopes Enzo||80||USA||Phoenix Racing Honda||Honda|
|13||Frye Jarrett||39||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|14||Do Thomas||60||USA||Tech32/KTM Marseille||KTM|
|15||Mosiman Michael||29||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|16||Osby Josh||56||USA||Phoenix Racing Honda||Honda|
|17||Varize Joshua||38||USA||KTM Orange Brigade/Factory Connection||KTM|
|18||Shock Coty||37||USA||FXR/Chaparral Honda Racing||Honda|
|19||Neese Luke||75||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|20||Karnow Logan||67||USA||Madd Parts/Double Eagle MX/Namura Technologies Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|21||Schwartz Dilan||40||USA||Bar X/Chaparral/Ecstar Suzuki||Suzuki|