The AMA Supercross series made its return to Salt Lake City for the penultimate round of the 2021 season, with the 250SX East class racers returning to racing after a 10-week break, and Team Honda HRC’s Jett Lawrence scored a close second-place finish. His teammate Ken Roczen ran out front in the 450SX main event, but a mistake limited him to an eventual sixth-place result, while fellow 450SX rider Chase Sexton shook off a practice crash from earlier in the day to finish fifth.
The 250SX main saw Lawrence complete lap one of 19 in fourth place, then move into third on lap three. That’s where he stayed until advancing a spot with six laps remaining. The young Australian then attempted to chase down the leading Jo Shimoda but came up just over a second short at the end.
In the 450SX main event, Roczen nailed the holeshot, with Marvin Musquin and Eli Tomac not far behind. The German led the pack for 14 or 25 laps, building an advantage of over two and a half seconds, but a mistake exiting a corner resulted in him going down and dropping to sixth. Sexton took advantage of Roczen’s fall and also moved by Jason Anderson on the same lap to sit fourth, but Dylan Ferrandis got by him with three laps remaining. At the finish, Sexton was fifth, with Roczen just over a second back in sixth.
- The Media Day riding session took place Friday, giving the riders time to test out the track layout at Rice-Eccles Stadium. The teams were very familiar with the facility and area, having spent the latter part of last season competing in seven races at the same venue.
- Round 16 saw the return of the 250SX East Region riders, including Team Honda HRC’s Jett Lawrence, Phoenix Racing Honda’s Josh Osby, and TiLube Honda’s Maxwell Sanford.
- Team Honda HRC riders participated in media interviews leading up to race day. Ken Roczen had a virtual talk with NBC Sports’ Motorsports Talk on Thursday afternoon and a face-to-face sit-down with NBC producers on Friday, while Chase Sexton took part in a taped interview with Jim Beaver’s nationally syndicated Down & Dirty Radio Show. Hunter and Jett Lawrence participated in Race Day Live on Thursday via Zoom, and Sexton was live in the show’s studio on Saturday afternoon.
- Free practice saw Sexton finish on top in the 450SX class with a 48.459” lap time, while Roczen had the sixth-fastest time. Jett Lawrence had the third-best lap time in the 250SX East class.
- In combined 450SX qualifying-practice times, Sexton was sixth-fastest with a best of 47.282”, despite a hard crash in the final session, and Roczen was next at 47.284”. SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts riders Broc Tickle and Benny Bloss were 14th and 15th, respectively.
- In the 250SX East class, Lawrence posted the fastest time in the final qualifying session and the third-best time overall, at 47.906”. Phoenix Racing Honda rider Joshua Osby was seventh with a time of 50.608”, while TiLube Honda’s Maxwell Sanford was 21st. Also of note were Team BWR rider Wilson Fleming (11th-fastest) and privateer Geran Stapleton (14th).
- The 250SX East class saw Lawrence take the holeshot and ride to a flawless win in heat 2, while Osby and Sanford also qualified directly to the main event by finishing fourth and fifth.
- Sexton returned from his qualifying crash to post an impressive second-place finish in the first 450SX heat race, while Tickle was sixth. In heat 2, Roczen posted a third-place result, and Bloss was seventh.
- As a podium finisher, Lawrence partook in the post-race virtual press conference on Saturday evening.
- Though the Team Honda HRC trucks are staying in Salt Lake City until the round 17 finale, which takes place at the same venue this Saturday, the team and riders headed back to Southern California to regroup.
Kayla Mead // Jonnum Media // firstname.lastname@example.org // +1 (760) 822-4786
450 SX Results
|1||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|2||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|3||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|4||Ferrandis Dylan||14||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|5||Sexton Chase||23||USA||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|6||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|7||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|8||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|9||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|10||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|11||Savatgy Joey||17||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|12||Tickle Broc||20||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|13||Anstie Max||34||GBR||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|14||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|15||Bowers Tyler||83||USA||Bowers Racing||Kawasaki|
|16||Bloss Benny||73||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|17||Clason Cade||78||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|18||Hartranft Brandon||41||USA||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|19||Starling Justin||95||USA||AJE Motorsports||Husqvarna|
|20||Miller Henry||81||USA||Trigger Racing||Yamaha|
|21||Noren Fredrik||61||SWE||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|22||Cartwright Joshua||519||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
250SX West Region Results
|1||Shimoda Jo||30||JPN||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|2||Lawrence Jett||18||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|3||Nichols Colt||45||USA||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|4||Mosiman Michael||29||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|5||Do Thomas||60||USA||Tech32/KTM Marseille||KTM|
|6||Varize Joshua||38||USA||KTM Orange Brigade/Factory Connection||KTM|
|7||Karnow Logan||67||USA||Madd Parts/Double Eagle MX/Namura Technologies Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|10||Short John||72||USA||Barx/Chaparral/Ecstar Suzuki||Suzuki|
|11||Neese Luke||75||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|12||Simonson Devin||76||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|13||Wageman RJ||99||USA||Team Solitaire/Nuclear Blast Yamaha||Yamaha|
|15||Sanford Maxwell||162||USA||Tilube Storm Lake Honda||Honda|
|16||Rodbell Justin||55||USA||SGB Racing/Maxxis/Babbitt's Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|17||Fleming Wilson||86||USA||Team BWR||Honda|
|18||Geistler Jonah||625||USA||Rides Unlimited Racing||KTM|
|20||Kerr Mason||597||USA||Team Carey||Kawasaki|
|21||Shaw Lane||89||USA||TPJ/Fly Racing||KTM|
|22||Osby Josh||56||USA||Phoenix Racing Honda||Honda|