Whereas there were nearly three years between Ken Roczen’s 10thand 11thcareer premier-class AMA Supercross wins, only 14 days passed before win number 12, and this one was even more convincing than the last. In Glendale, Arizona’s State Farm Stadium—host to the 2020 series’ fourth round and the first of three run under the unique Triple Crown format—the Team Honda HRC rider topped all three of the evening’s 450SX races, confirming the speed shown two weeks earlier in St. Louis and stretching his title-chase lead to eight points. With his CRF450R wearing the red number plate that denotes the points leader, the German used strong starts and masterful race management to rule the evening, leading the bulk of laps and setting the fastest lap times in two of three races (including the fastest of the night).
Meanwhile, teammate Justin Brayton overcame so-so starts by putting in solid rides through traffic, tallying 7-7-9 finishes to take sixth overall—his best result of the season thus far, and good enough to improve his position in the points battle from eighth to seventh.
- On the eve of race day, a host of Red Riders attended an appearance at Peoria, Arizona’s massive RideNow Powersports dealership. On hand were Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen and Justin Brayton; GEICO Honda’s Christian Craig; Penrite Honda’s Luke Clout and Mitchell Oldenburg; BWR Honda’s Carlen Gardner, Bryson Gardner, Mitchell Falk and Colton Aeck; and FXR/Chaparral Honda’s Chris Blose, Justin Starling and Jerry Robin. A very large turnout of fans came to meet the racers, get autographs and photos and have the opportunity to win raffle prizes.
- On Friday, Roczen and Brayton participated in Press Day, which gave them the opportunity to try the entire track with the exception of the whoop section. The track was relatively long, with a 429-foot start straight down the center of State Farm Stadium infield. Additional mini-straights crisscrossed the start straight several times, making for high speeds, but the track’s considerable length still pushed lap times over the minute mark.
- Roczen woke up on Thursday with a stuffy head and a sore throat, which was some cause for concern considering the physical demand of the Triple Crown format. “Everybody’s been sick, and I’ve been trying to stay away from all that stuff,” he said. “Lucky, it improved between Friday and Saturday.” Still, Roczen’s voice was noticeably rough after the race.
- The Triple Crown format has the daytime qualifying sessions determine order of gate selection for the evening, and Roczen notched the third-best time with a 1’01.954” lap in the second outing. Teammate Brayton was 13thwith a 1’03.124” lap, with fellow Red Riders Malcolm Stewart, Justin Hill, Vince Friese and Chris Blose fifth, sixth, 16thand 17th, respectively.
- As has been the case at every round this season, Honda was the best-represented manufacturer among those riders advancing to the 450SX main events, with no fewer than seven of 22 machines being CRF450R race bikes.
- Because of the shorter races run with the Triple Crown schedule, strong starts were vital to a good result at Glendale, and adding to the pressure that comes with that were a pair of restarts. Roczen was among the best in the sprints to turn one, with the first race-three start being the only flawed getaway. Even then, he was quickly improving his position when the red flag flew, and could well have still scored the overall win even without it. “It was madness out there with the restarts and people crashing, and it’s just good to come out of here healthy,” he said.
- The Glendale race took place on the eve of Australia Day, when Australians celebrate their country, and Penrite Honda commemorated the occasion with special bike graphics featuring kangaroos, Ayers Rock and the Australian flag. More importantly, the squad (whose headquarters are in Australia) turned in a strong 250SX West performance, with Mitchell Oldenburg and Luke Clout finishing sixth and 10th, respectively.
- The GEICO Honda team continued its trend of strong riding mixed with misfortune. Following Jett Lawrence’s injury last weekend, Christian Craig was the only rider representing the team in Arizona, and he notched a podium result in Glendale’s first 250SX race, only to suffer a hard crash in race two, resulting in injuries that will leave him sidelined for the next two races. The squad has a talented lineup of riders preparing for the 250SX East series.
- This coming weekend, the Red Riders return to California for round five, only this time it’s further north for the Oakland Supercross. On Friday, Roczen and Brayton will make a dealer appearance at Fremont Honda from 6-7.
450SX Overall Results
|1||Roczen Ken||94||GER||26||Team Honda HRC||Honda||(1-1-1)|
|2||Tomac Eli||3||USA||23||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki||(2-2-3)|
|3||Anderson Jason||21||USA||21||Rockstar Husqvarna||Husqvarna||(5-3-2)|
|4||Webb Cooper||2||USA||19||Red Bull KTM||KTM||(8-5-4)|
|5||Barcia Justin||51||USA||18||Monster Energy Factory Yamaha Racing||Yamaha||(6-8-7)|
|6||Brayton Justin||10||USA||17||Team Honda HRC||Honda||(7-7-9)|
|7||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||16||Smartop Bullfrog Spas MotoConcepts Honda||Honda||(4-14-6)|
|8||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||15||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki||(3-6-17)|
|9||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||14||Monster Energy Factory Yamaha Racing||Yamaha||(11-9-8)|
|10||Baggett Blake||4||USA||13||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM||(12-4-14)|
|11||Davalos Martin||47||ECU||12||Team Tedder||KTM||(10-16-5)|
|12||Hill Justin||48||USA||11||Smartop Bullfrog Spas MotoConcepts Honda||Honda||(9-13-10)|
|13||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||10||Rockstar Husqvarna||Husqvarna||(16-10-11)|
|14||Friese Vince||45||USA||9||Smartop Bullfrog Spas MotoConcepts Honda||Honda||(13-12-12)|
|15||Bowers Tyler||69||USA||8||Bowers Racing||Kawasaki||(15-15-13)|
|17||Blose Chris||49||USA||6||Chaparral/FXR Racing/Honda||Honda||(17-17-18)|
|18||Osborne Zach||USA||5||Rockstar Husqvarna||Husqvarna||(22-11-22)|
|19||Ray Alex||USA||4||Cycle Trader Rock River Yamaha||Yamaha||(20-20-16)|
|20||Reed Chad||22||AUS||3||Mountain Motorsports/CBDmd/CR22 Racing||Honda||(18-19-19)|
|21||Bogle Justin||19||USA||2||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM||(14-22-21)|
|22||Robins Jerry||851||USA||1||Blue Buffalo Slater Skins/ Yamaha||Yamaha||(21-21-20)|