Round 10 of the AMA Supercross series in Daytona Beach, Florida, saw Team Honda HRC’s Ken Roczen put together an impressive ride, leading 14 of 18 laps before engaging in a heated battle and ultimately relinquishing the front spot to take the checkered flag in second.
Roczen was aggressive right out of the gate, rocketing his CRF450R down the start straight and rounding the unique 360-degree first turn in second. He wasted no time, quickly making a pass into the lead on the opening lap. From there, the German looked poised to score his fourth victory of the season, as he opened an eight-second margin on the field. Midway through the race, Roczen lost some of his initial aggression, allowing Eli Tomac to close the gap on him. The duo battled hard, with Roczen eventually making a mistake in an off-camber turn and briefly tipping over, allowing Tomac to take the lead. Roczen didn’t quit though, fighting hard in the final laps to try and mount a counter-attack. He was close, finishing a mere .707” behind the leader. Meanwhile, teammate Justin Brayton had a hard night, fighting back from a less-than-desirable start and a big crash on the last lap to finish 10th.
- Honda Red Riders participated in Friday’s press-day activities, taking the opportunity to ride the track and speak with media. In a nod to both the 50thrunning of the Daytona Supercross and Justin Brayton’s historic 2018 victory, the Team Honda HRC rider was presented with a special ring.
- With this weekend marking the 50thanniversary of the Daytona Supercross, Team Honda HRC and Throttle Jockey decided to commemorate the event with special throwback graphics inspired by Honda’s 1973 Elsinore bike. These graphics will be available this week at Throttle Jockey’s website.
- On race day, Team Honda HRC was pleased to host military serviceman Joshua Kissinger and his family for a special VIP experience. Kissinger, who is an Army medic, will be deployed later this month, and since he’s a loyal Honda customer and Supercross fan, the factory Honda team decided to provide him with a special experience to thank him for his service. They were given the opportunity to participate in promoter track walk, then received tours of the team garage and tech truck before enjoying dinner with the crew.
- Roczen was fast all day, laying down the quickest lap in the day’s first qualifying practice before barely being edged out of the top spot in the second session, giving him the second-fastest time with a 1’10.003” lap. Smartop/MotoConcepts/Bullfrog Spas Honda’s Malcolm Stewart was the next-fastest Red Rider, landing fourth with a 1’10.712” time, while teammate Justin Hill was 11that 1’12.197”. Vince Friese was 13thwith a 1’12.464” lap and Justin Brayton was 14thwith 1’12.557” time.
- Slotted in 450SX heat 1, Roczen rode strong from start to finish, securing his seventh heat-race win of the season. With only one exception, Roczen has won every heat race he started.
- Brayton was involved in a run-in with Vince Friese on the final lap of the main event, hurting his left hand. On Monday following the race, he was evaluated by his physician, and it was determined that he had fractured the metacarpal in his pinky finger. Brayton’s recovery will take three to six weeks, and he will be reevaluated at the three-week mark (following the Seattle Supercross).
- It was another impressive day for the GEICO Honda team, as Chase Sexton and Jeremy Martin rode their CRF250R race machines to second- and third-place finishes, respectively, in the 250SX East main event. Sexton got off the line in second and spent the entire race playing cat-and-mouse with the leader. He was unable to get close enough to make a pass attempt, crossing the line in the runner-up position and extending his championship points lead. Meanwhile, Martin came around the first lap in sixth, but quickly made his way into fourth in the early portions of the race. He continued to ride well, gaining one more position and taking the checkers in third. Rookie Jo Shimoda had another strong performance, securing seventh at his first Daytona Supercross.
- Next weekend, Team Honda HRC heads to Indianapolis to take on round 11 of the AMA Supercross Series at Lucas Oil Stadium.
450SX Main Event Results
|1||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|2||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|3||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|4||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|5||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|7||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|8||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|9||Hill Justin||48||USA||Smartop Bullfrog Spas MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|10||Brayton Justin||10||USA||Muc-Off Honda||Honda|
|11||Friese Vince||62||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|12||Bloss Benny||73||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|13||Reed Chad||22||AUS||Mountain Motorsports/CBDmd/CR22 Racing||KTM|
|14||Davalos Martin||47||ECU||Team Tedder||KTM|
|15||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||Chisholm Racing||Kawasaki|
|16||Sipes Ryan||39||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||KTM|
|17||Miller Henry||81||USA||Trigger Racing||Yamaha|
|19||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|21||Bowers Tyler||83||USA||Bowers Racing||Kawasaki|
|22||Baggett Blake||4||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|