In the third AMA Supercross 250SX West race of the 2021 season, and just the fifth of his career, Team Honda HRC rider Hunter Lawrence notched his first podium result, charging to a runner-up finish in Arlington, Texas. Lawrence ran among the top riders for the entirety of the 250SX main event in what was an impressive performance by the Australian, who also took third in his heat race.
Meanwhile, in only his second race after recovering from a shoulder injury, Chase Sexton was strong throughout the 450SX program, riding to a solid fourth-place result in the main event. After a fifth-place start, Sexton made firm passes early on, quickly advancing to third before relinquishing one spot. His teammate Ken Roczen suffered a heat-race crash that resulted in the 13th gate selection for the main event. Consequently, he was slowed by a poor rut on the start and found himself in 11th after the first lap. The German worked his way through the pack to finish sixth.
With seven races remaining on the schedule, Roczen is now second in the title chase, seven points behind Webb. Next up is the middle race of the Arlington triple-header, on Tuesday.
- The 2021 Arlington 1 race marked the 41st consecutive season of supercross racing in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, where Honda holds the most wins of any manufacturer, at 13. This is the first time that the area will host three rounds in one season.
- The Arlington 1 event’s Media Day riding session took place on Friday, with Team Honda HRC riders Ken Roczen, Chase Sexton and Hunter Lawrence all participating. Roczen was also invited to participate in a virtual interview for Race Day Live.
- After suffering a broken tooth and punctured lower lip at Daytona, Sexton underwent dental work and had stitches removed before traveling to Arlington.
- FanFest resumed at Arlington, giving fans a behind-the-scenes look at the teams and riders as they worked in the pits. As was the case at the previous rounds, there were no autograph signings, however attendees were permitted to take photos, visit sponsor displays and take home pre-signed posters.
- Free practice saw Roczen finish on top in the 450SX class, while Sexton had the sixth-fastest time. During qualifying, Roczen was sixth-best in the combined times, with Sexton two spots behind. Spots 15 through 18 went to SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda’s Benny Bloss, Muc-Off Honda’s Justin Brayton and MotoConcepts riders Vince Friese and Broc Tickle, respectively.
- In the 250SX West class, Lawrence posted the seventh-fastest lap in free practice and improved by two positions in qualifying. Muc-Off Honda’s Mitchell Harrison was seventh, Phoenix Racing Honda’s Kyle Peters was 12th, and FXR Chaparral Honda riders Coty Shock and Carson Mumford were 15th and 20th, respectively.
- Sexton and Roczen finished fifth and seventh, respectively, in the second 450SX heat race, the latter slowed by a fall. Brayton placed sixth and Tickle posted an 11th-place result. Heat 1 had seen Friese finish seventh and Bloss eighth. Lawrence was third in 250SX heat 2, whereas Shock and Harrison were 11th and 12th. In heat 1, Peters and Mumford were fifth and 18th, respectively.
- As a podium finisher, Lawrence took part in the post-race virtual press conference, which took place Saturday evening after the race. Sexton was invited to participate in the 450SX roundtable on Sunday afternoon.
- With the first race of the Arlington triple-header in the books, the riders and teams won’t have much time to prepare for round 11, which happens on Tuesday, with round 12 set to take place at the same venue on Saturday. The mixed red clay/sand soil track will be modified between rounds.
Kayla Mead // Jonnum Media // firstname.lastname@example.org // +1 (760) 822-4786
|1||Webb Cooper||2||USA||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|2||Barcia Justin||51||USA||TLD/Red Bull GasGas||GasGas|
|3||Anderson Jason||21||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|4||Sexton Chase||23||USA||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|5||Plessinger Aaron||7||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|6||Roczen Ken||94||GER||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|7||Savatgy Joey||17||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|8||Tomac Eli||3||USA||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|9||Wilson Dean||15||GBR||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|10||Davalos Martin||53||USA||Team Tedder/Monster Energy/Lucas Oil/KTM Racing||KTM|
|11||Friese Vince||62||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|12||Bogle Justin||19||USA||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|13||Brayton Justin||10||USA||Muc-Off Honda||Honda|
|14||Stewart Malcolm||27||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|15||Chisholm Kyle||11||USA||Chisholm Racing||KTM|
|16||Anstie Max||34||GBR||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|17||Ray Alex||87||USA||SGB Racing/Maxxis/Babbitt's Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|18||Moranz Kevin||57||USA||TPJ/Fly Racing||KTM|
|19||Clason Cade||78||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|20||Bloss Benny||73||USA||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|21||Champion Scott||76||USA||Pasha Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|22||Ferrandis Dylan||14||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
250SX West Region Results
|1||Hammaker Seth||47||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|2||Lawrence Hunter||96||AUS||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|3||McAdoo Cameron||48||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|4||Cooper Justin||32||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|5||Marchbanks Garrett||35||USA||Club MX||Yamaha|
|6||Swoll Jalek||31||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|7||Robertson Stilez||50||USA||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|8||Harrison Mitchell||64||USA||Muc-Off Honda||Honda|
|9||Blose Chris||66||USA||AJE Motorsports/Motul||GasGas|
|10||Thrasher Nate||49||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|11||Shock Coty||37||USA||FXR/Chaparral Honda Racing||Honda|
|12||Peters Kyle||52||USA||Phoenix Racing Honda||Honda|
|14||Martin Alex||26||USA||Manluk/Rock River Yamaha/Merge Racing||Yamaha|
|16||Wageman RJ||99||USA||Team Solitaire/Nuclear Blast Yamaha||Yamaha|
|19||Owen Jace||68||USA||Club MX||Yamaha|
|20||Surratt Ryan||58||USA||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|21||Frye Jarrett||39||USA||Monster Energy/Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|22||Smith Jordon||90||USA||Monster Energy/Pro Circuit Kawasaki||Kawasaki|