Team Honda HRC’s Chase Sexton ended the dramatic 2020 racing season with a stirring career-first overall win in the AMA Pro Motocross series finale at Southern California’s Fox Raceway, while teammate Christian Craig also had a season-best showing, finishing runner-up in moto two and taking fourth overall. Sexton was also the top qualifier and took fifth in the championship standings, while Craig–serving as a reliable fill-in for the entire series–was sixth in the final points.
The first 450 moto at Fox Raceway, located in North San Diego County, saw Sexton in fourth off the start, pressured early by his teammate. Sexton advanced to second at the midway point of the 18-lapper, with Eli Tomac following closely for several laps before making the pass. Craig did likewise, but with two laps to go, Sexton got back by, and the Red Riders finished third and fourth.
The final gate drop of the season saw Craig and Sexton charging in second and third, respectively. Sexton made a push just past the halfway point and passed Craig for second, then latched onto the leading Adam Cianciarulo’s rear fender, the trio separated by less than two seconds, with a healthy margin on the rest of the field. When the leader crashed over a jump, Sexton moved to the front, with Craig close behind. Sexton put his head down and earned his first career moto win, by 5.2 seconds over Craig, for a 1-2 moto-two showing by Team Honda HRC. Sexton’s second-moto win placed him atop the day’s classification, while Craig finished just off the overall podium.
- Similar to the weather the series experienced in Colorado last weekend, Fox Raceway featured comfortable Southern California temperatures, making for ideal conditions at the final round.
- The State of California did not require all event attendees to be tested for COVID-19, although everyone needed to pass a health screening prior to entering or reentering the paddock. Teams continued practicing social distancing, wearing masks properly and only permitting essential personnel in the team pods.
- This was only the third time that the Pro Motocross finale has been held at Fox Raceway.
- The spectator limit was originally set at 5,000 tickets, but series organizer MX Sports raised it to 6,000. Fans were not permitted in the pro paddock, and though autograph sessions were still prohibited, teams provided pre-signed posters for fans.
- In the days since the last race, the Team Honda HRC crew spent time testing and preparing in Southern California with both Chase Sexton and Christian Craig.
- Sexton posted the fastest lap time during 450 qualifying, with a 1’53.682” lap in the final session. Craig finished the session with a third-best time of 1’54.932”.
- Following the final AMA Pro Motocross round, series organizers MX Sports Pro Racing presented American Honda with the Manufacturer of the Year Award. Thanks to efforts from both the 450 class and the 250 class, American Honda finished the 2020 season in the lead for manufacturer points.
- The entire Team Honda HRC crew and everyone at American Honda congratulates Zach Osborne and his Rockstar Husqvarna team for earning the 450 crown. Many at Honda know Osborne from when he raced with Factory Connection from in 2013 and ‘14.
- After 19 years of running American Honda’s satellite 125/250 effort, Factory Connection competed in its final race. Operating most recently as GEICO Honda, Factory Connection has been racing for 23 seasons and has earned 12 championships–including 10 in the last 10 years. The team went out on top at Fox Raceway, as the final moto featured a GEICO Honda podium sweep, and Jett Lawrence netted his career-first overall win, as well as Rookie of the Year honors. Teammate Jeremy Martin also earned his fifth moto win of the season, by 18.3 seconds, posting a 4-1 moto tally for second overall. Rookie Jo Shimoda also enjoyed a solid ride, notching a career-best overall result of fifth, while Carson Mumford matched his best pro finish at ninth overall. Unfortunately, Hunter Lawrence was unable to finish the day after reinjuring his shoulder, which he previously dislocated earlier in the season. American Honda thanks Factory Connection for their valuable collaboration and extends best wishes to the team principals, crew and riders.
- With the strange and challenging 2020 season now complete, Team Honda HRC will now begin testing and prepping for 2021 with Ken Roczen and teammate Sexton aboard their new 2021 CRF450R race machines.
Kayla Mead // Jonnum Media // firstname.lastname@example.org // +1 (760) 822-4786
450MX Moto 1 Results
|1||Tomac Eli||3||USA||25||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|2||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||22||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|3||Sexton Chase||23||USA||20||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|4||Craig Christian||29||USA||18||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|5||Osborne Zach||16||USA||16||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|6||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||15||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|7||Bogle Justin||19||USA||14||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|8||Tickle Broc||20||USA||13||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|9||Anstie Max||34||GBR||12||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|13||Teasdale Isaac||921||USA||8||Team Babbitts||KTM|
|14||Hubert Matthew||647||USA||7||TPJ/Fly Racing||Husqvarna|
|15||Rodbell Justin||57||USA||6||SGB Racing/Maxxis/Babbitt's Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|16||Wageman Robbie||USA||5||Nuclear Blast Rockwell Yamaha Racing||Yamaha|
|19||Taylor Richard||141||USA||2||Rock River Racing||Yamaha|
|20||Clason Cade||280||USA||1||PR-MX Pelletier Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
450MX Moto 2 Results
|1||Sexton Chase||23||USA||25||Team Honda HRC||Honda|
|2||Craig Christian||29||USA||22||Star Racing Yamaha||Yamaha|
|3||Cianciarulo Adam||9||USA||20||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|4||Tomac Eli||3||USA||18||Monster Energy Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|5||Musquin Marvin||25||FRA||16||Red Bull KTM||KTM|
|6||Anstie Max||34||GBR||15||Twisted Tea/HEP Motorsports Suzuki||Suzuki|
|7||Osborne Zach||16||USA||14||Rockstar Energy Husqvarna||Husqvarna|
|8||Bogle Justin||19||USA||13||Rocky Mountain ATV/MC KTM WPS||KTM|
|9||Tickle Broc||20||USA||12||SmarTop/Bullfrog Spas/MotoConcepts Honda||Honda|
|11||Teasdale Isaac||921||USA||10||Team Babbitts||KTM|
|12||Rodbell Justin||57||USA||9||SGB Racing/Maxxis/Babbitt's Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|14||Hubert Matthew||647||USA||7||TPJ/Fly Racing||Husqvarna|
|15||Wageman Robbie||USA||6||Nuclear Blast Rockwell Yamaha Racing||Yamaha|
|16||Bowers Tyler||44||USA||5||Bowers Racing||Kawasaki|
|18||Ray Alex||83||USA||3||SGB Racing/Maxxis/Babbitt's Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|20||Smith Jeremy||309||USA||1||SGB Racing/Maxxis/Babbitt's Kawasaki||Kawasaki|