Since its 2002 introduction, the CRF450R has earned an enviable racing pedigree, and the 2017 edition is the best yet, with superior technology and style. Riders know that the most important part of any motocross race is the start, and the new CRF450R Unicam® engine has been developed to achieve overwhelming performance in the first 100 feet of battle, offering increased power output but also allowing unparalleled traction. And while arriving to turn one first is significant, winning requires staying in front for the entire moto, which is why Honda engineers designed an all-new chassis with reduced weight and centralized mass. The result is a machine that is at once fast, reliable and forgiving, and that allows riders to more easily extract maximum performance, consistently turning low lap times while simultaneously taxing their bodies less.
- Downdraft intake layout increases power by reducing resistance, improving air-charging efficiency.
- New combustion chamber with higher compression ratio, decreased valve angle for greater efficiency.
- Use of finger rocker arm allows increased valve lift while retaining compact Unicam layout.
- Coils on valve springs have oval cross-sections to allow low engine height.
- New port layout with straighter flow for increased efficiency.
- New piston with improved combustion efficiency.
- Diamond-like carbon (DLC) on piston pin, rocker arm reduces friction, increases durability.
- New, compact dual muffler with more-gradual pipe bends for smoother exhaust flow.
- Shallower clutch assembly with fewer, thicker plates for narrower engine width.
- Kick start standard, with electric start available as an accessory.
- New layout allows improved traction through concentration of mass, lower center of gravity.
- New, lighter sixth-generation aluminum twin-spar frame with revised geometry; allows improved cornering performance through reduction of torsional stiffness (lateral stiffness is unchanged).
- New, lighter swingarm assembly with increased vertical and lateral stiffness.
- New rear-suspension location lowers center of gravity.
- Narrower cross section (down 30mm at radiator shrouds).
- Aluminum rear subframe with extruded gussets for lighter weight.
- Showa fork is now 49mm (up 1mm), with coil springs replacing air system.
- New, lighter titanium fuel tank.
- Kill switch/ignition-map-adjustment switch combined into one unit for reduced weight.
- Dunlop Geomax MX3S tires.
- Plastic bodywork with smoother layout and film-insert graphics for improved appearance and durability.
- New front fender shape allows more-efficient air path to radiator.
|Engine Type||449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke|
|Bore x Stroke||96.0mm x 62.1mm|
|Valve Train||Unicam OHC, four-valve; 10.0mm intake, steel; 8.8mm exhaust, steel|
|Induction||Programmed fuel-injection system (PGM-FI); 46mm throttle bore|
|Ignition||Full transistorized ignition|
|Final drive||#520 chain; 13T/49T|
|Front Suspension||49mm fully adjustable leading-axle inverted telescopic Showa coil-spring fork; 12.0 in. travel|
|Rear Suspension||Pro-Link swingarm system; fully adjustable Showa single shock; 12.4 in. travel|
|Front Brake||Single 260mm hydraulic disc|
|Rear Brake||Single 240mm hydraulic disc|
|Front Tire||Dunlop Geomax MX3S 80/100-21 55M with tube|
|Rear Tire||Dunlop Geomax MX3S 120/80-19 55M with tube|
|Rake (Caster Angle)||27° 22’|
|Trail||116mm (4.6 inches)|
|Seat Height||37.8 inches|
|Ground Clearance||12.9 inches|
|Fuel Capacity||1.6 gallons|
|Curb Weight||243 pounds (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full tank of fuel—ready to ride)|
Consult owner’s manual for optional parts.